What really didn't impress me was my memory. I thought I could name every player at every position by sheer recall. Without much research. Man, was I wrong. Looking up the past rosters was way cool and brought vivid memories back that I had forgotten. Which was a lot. Football is not individualistic, but in recent years it has become just that. My team is 98% from the Super Bowl teams. Most of them played together for most of those years and had deep chemistry. I loved Chuck Foreman but I couldn't name his blocking back that opened up the holes. But Bill Brown and Dave Osborn. Now that was a backfield.
I have picked obvious choices that all Viking fans would probably agree with. I also picked one team - one year that was the complete package that shoulda/coulda won a champeenship. So, here is a slight stroll down memory lane.
Coach- Bud Grant
OFFENSE
Quarterback- Fran Tarkenton
Running Backs- Dave Osborn and Bill Brown

Wide Receivers- Gene Washington and Paul Flatley
Tight End- John Beasley
Offensive Line : Grady Alderman, Ron Yary, Milt Sunde, Randall McDaniel and Mick Tinglehoff
Kicker- Fred Cox
Punter- Bob Lee
DEFENSE
Defensive Line : Alan Page
Carl Eller
Jim Marshall
Gary Larsen
Linebackers : Wally Hilgenberg, Roy Winston, Dale Hackbart
Secondary : Karl Kassulke, Earsell Mackbee, Paul Krause, Nate Wright
My pick for the most powerful team that probably should have had at least a chance to win the Super Bowl was the '98 team. They went 15-1. Players: Randall Cunningham, Robert Smith, Cris Carter, Jake Reed, Randy Moss, Todd Steussie, Korey Stringer on offense and John Randle, Dwayne Rudd, Ed McDaniel, Jerry Ball and Corey Fuller on defense, Gary Anderson, placekicker and Dennis Green, coach. As a team, at least for one year, they crushed teams and, on the first FG miss all season from Anderson and an overtime loss (sound familiar?), didn't quite make that game against Elway and the Broncos. As they say, the rest is hysteria.









Kind of looks like you are living in the past!!
ReplyDeletec
No Chuck Foreman? Ahmad Rashad? Pulease!
ReplyDelete