Sunday, October 31, 2010

Opinion : California and Prop 19

Everybody has an opinion, like we all have a brain.  So, mine is of little significance or relevance except to myself.  But I shall share my viewpoints with you anyway.

Proposition 19 Proposes:

1)     Adults (21+) can carry up to an ounce of their own pot and related paraphernalia without fear of arrest by state and local authorities.

My Humble Opinion:  How about the feds?  I know they have more to worry about, but a few high-profile cases that they can broadcast will make the public even more fearful to display their goods.  And define 'related paraphernalia'.  Does that include a hookah or three-foot bong?  Or just a roach clip?

2)     The ability to tend a home garden up to 25 sq. feet and consume its grow in a 'nonpublic place', but not in parks, near schools or on the street.

My Humble Opinion:  Once again, define 'nonpublic place'.  Doesn't that mean 'private'?  So, parks, schools and the street are out.  I definitely think the school part is important, especially if it's grade and middle schools.  But if anybody with a decent sense of smell has walked even near a high school can attest, the smell is of tobacco.  Maybe masking pot?  Both are harmful to young lungs.  I think it will be extremely hard to enforce the size and quantity of gardens.  Neighborhood watch groups?  Isn't it the seeds that are required to start a garden?  And where are these seeds purchased?

3)      Leave it up to local governments to license businesses that want to allow onsite pot use by its patrons.

My Humble Opinion:  Another quagmire of rules, licensing transactions and bureaucratic BS.  Just like tobacco, smoke is smoke.  Vaporizers?  Edibles?  It is, of course, up to the individual to frequent these establishments or not.  Contact highs should also be addressed. 


4)     To authorize commercial cultivation and retail sales.
5)     To reap revenues through taxes and fees.

My Humble Opinion:  The last three items are all aimed at making money.  But will the local/state municipalities use it wisely?  How can these funds be used competently?  Education at all levels, job creation, etc.  Once again, how to divvy up the money will be tricky.


The current decriminalization of pot (in many states) is already in place.  I think that this is the level that it should stay at.  It seems more and more police are turning a blind eye on public usage, if no harm is being done to the citizens in general.  The safety of the public is essential in determining if pot use is OK.  All the medical pot laws are in disarray and need tightening up.  Passing Prop. 19 will only muddle this issue.  I don't know what it will take to make pot as easy to purchase as liquor.  It should, at some time become legal.  At this time, however, I am very skeptical as to its validity.  I would vote NO on Prop. 19.

2 comments:

  1. All of your "Humble Opinions" made me think of Humble Pie and the I thought of "Chicago Green, talkin' bout Black Lebanese" !!!!

    I agree with your Opinion on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like it to be legal, but in the alcohol model. And no grows in neighborhoods. The grows are where your local crime analyst occasionally marks the spot on her map with an outline of a body symbol. The way we went about legalization in Colorado has been a mess. I hope others learn from the mile high city's problems....

    ReplyDelete